Thursday, April 18, 2013

Borders

The most interesting thing about Anzaldua's story was living in society that doesn't accept every part of you, or all of you. I have a lot of gay friends, and coming to terms with that aspect of the world is hard for some of them to take, especially when people that you're really connected to don't accept you. The feminist aspect was also refreshing; I'm pretty outspoken and try to be as independent as possible, so I can't imagine what it'd be like to live in a culture, or multiple, where women are treated so drastically different and expected to fill a traditional lifestyle. I'd definitely be combative and not deal with that, which means I'd probably be a disappointment or looked down upon. Gender issues fascinate me. Her point of view was very straightforward and honest, and that made it very enjoyable to read.

Jen's story was infuriating to read on a lot of levels. The racist comments bothered me a lot at first, but I realized that people that emigrated to the U.S. don't understand everything about or culture. They see things in more black and white terms, and the more I read, the more I really enjoyed the mother. I also think this means that they can see through the bull in American culture, and that's awesome. I couldn't stand reading about her daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter. I can't stand children that are disrespectful with no manners, and I absolutely can't handle people that can't control their lives or parents that have no clue how to be. A lot of people think they should be parents, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not for you, so don't. I think this was a compelling story of what's wrong with our culture when it comes to family dynamics, how we see immigrants, and respect in general.

King's story was one that I didn't enjoy too much. I understand wanting to be true to who you are and your heritage, but when you have a son to take care of, and pride starts getting in the way of his welfare, that's a problem. Sleeping in a car for multiple nights because you're digging your heels in on something that in the grand scheme o things doesn't matter is selfish to me. Granted, I was never treated unjustly like this woman must have been, so it's a bit one-sided to look at the situation from that point, and I do understand standing up for what you believe in, especially against those that don't understand, but this situation just seemed so small compared to others that could be protested. Also, the one comment about not wanting to look like Americans when they went over the border bothered me just as much as Jen's story. I can see both sides to this situation, and while I think the mother is a strong woman, I think when you have I take care of someone else, you have to take that into account.

No comments:

Post a Comment